WHAT IS CAL MAG?
Cal-Mag is a calcium-magnesium supplement that guards plants grown in coco coir against calcium or magnesium deficiencies. It contains an extra kick of kelp and helps plants grow extensive root systems that can reach and absorb the required amounts of nutrients for vibrant growth.
HOW DOES CALCIUM-MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENT WORK?
Coco coir is a commonly used hydroponic growing medium, with many benefits.
- it provides good insulation for the plant roots, helping to foster root growth
- It’s pH neutral
- it’s a “green” option, because it’s made from the husks of coconuts that have been harvested for other uses
However, coco coir may add extra potassium to the nutrient solution. While potassium is important for plant health and blooming, too much of it can upset the delicate balance of a feeding program.
Potassium, when present in large amounts, reacts antagonistically to calcium and magnesium. It can crowd out their ions and block them from being taken up by the plant. In this way, potassium can knock calcium and magnesium out of the mix, creating deficiencies in these essential nutrients.
Such deficiencies might also occur when growers mix and match brands – misbalancing the concentrations and ratios of potassium and other essential nutrients.
Common signs of calcium deficiency:
- bud rot
- necrotic leaf margins, especially on the shoots and younger leaves
- stunted growth
Common signs of magnesium deficiency:
- yellowing leaves, especially on the older leaves
- smaller, woodier fruits
WHY PURCHASE CAL-MAG
OVER ANOTHER BRAND?
Cal-Mag is made from high-quality source minerals. Not all minerals are the same quality. Different mines and suppliers have different grades with various levels of additional elements. Emerald Harvest Cal-Mag is made with the purest source materials available.
It is designed for growing under special conditions. Emerald Harvest Cal-Mag is formulated to work together with other Emerald Harvest products to ensure maximum growth and yields and to prevent issues that might lead to deficiencies.
Emerald Harvest Cal-Mag contains kelp. Kelp is nature’s fastest growing plant (its really an algae!) and found only in Emerald Harvest Cal-Mag to provide added benefits including:
- biocatalytic effects – stimulating growth
- additional chelation – allowing better nutrient uptake
WHAT DO THE INGREDIENTS IN
CAL-MAG'S UNIQUE FORMULATION DO?
- Aids in cell formation & strengthens cell walls
- Regulates transport of other nutrients
- Activates certain enzymes & phytohormones
- Supports nitrogen utilization
Calcium is an essential plant nutrient. It enters the root tips before being transported through the xylem, which carries water and nutrients from the roots to the upper plant.
- Studies have shown a relationship between calcium and biocatalysts such as enzymes and phytohormones.
- Calcium also plays a role in nitrogen uptake. Calcium deficiency can interfere with the amount of N plants can use. Studies show that nitrogen concentrations in plants decrease when calcium is deficient—which, of course, hurts growers hoping to boost their blooms to their maximum potential.
- Calcium, not unlike silicon, helps to fortify plant cells and is involved in growth processes. When plants have strong cell walls, they have stronger stalks and stems that can support heavier harvests.
- Forms the central atom of chlorophyll
- Is important to enzymes that are essential for carbon fixation
- Helps plants use potassium & iron
Because magnesium is a central component of chlorophyll, new leaves yellow and fail to thrive when the plant doesn’t get enough of this nutrient. Moreover, magnesium, like calcium, is important for certain enzymes and assists in phosphorus and iron utilization.
- Some magnesium-related enzymes play roles in crucial plant processes such as photosynthesis and respiration.
- Others are essential to carbon fixation. Carbon fixation “fixes” inorganic carbon dioxide to carbohydrates, making it available for plants to use.
- Plants also require magnesium to bloom and develop weighty, mature fruits. A lack of magnesium can cause smaller, woodier fruits and premature senescence, or ageing.
Emerald Harvest Cal-Mag contains an extra ingredient that our competitors don’t include: kelp extract, which assists chelation and adds micronutrients.
- Kelp is known as nature’s fastest-growing “plant” (it’s actually a type of algae).
- Its inclusion in Cal-Mag delivers auxins, cytokinins and other phytohormones to plants, as well as every micronutrient and numerous beneficial compounds:
- Kelp also adds a little extra nitrogen in the form of aminos, not to mention 60 trace elements.
- Kelp assists in chelation
CAN I USE CAL-MAG
WITH MY CURRENT NUTRIENT LINE?
Because Cal-Mag corrects for a calcium and magnesium deficiency for plants grown in coco coir, it’s suitable to use with any nutrient line when growing in coco. However, when it’s used with the Emerald Harvest full product line, we can guarantee that there is no risk of overfeeding because the products work together like the pieces of a puzzle.
If growers are using it with a different nutrient line, they should double-check all ingredients to be sure that you’re not overfeeding any particular nutrient.